Sunday, January 27, 2013

Part Twenty (April 23, 1972)

So, Charlie came up with some crappy excuse for our trip; we were allegedly helping a friend move, or something, and that friend lived over in Auburn, so we needed a ride to a bus stop. They questioned why we didn't want them to drive us the whole way, and we just told them that we didn't want to take away from their busy day. For whatever reason, they bought that, and they took us to the bus stop.

We soon arrived at the man's house, which, incidentally, actually was in Auburn. We didn't really know what to expect, once we got in, but we rang the doorbell nonetheless.

We were greeted by an elderly man of about seventy years. He looked down at us in surprise. Obviously, his friend hadn't told him that we were coming.

"Who are you?" He asked, "Are you boy scouts? If you are, I'm sorry, but I can't buy any chocolates. I gave up sweets, a long time ago."

"No," Charlie said, chuckling a little, "Your friend told me to come find you. I know about the disappearances."

"You must mean Bruce." He mused, "I instructed him to find somebody who knew something, like you said. I expected them to arrive soon... Forgive me, but I was expecting someone a little older. That's not a bad thing. I just don't normally find myself talking to children. But Bruce did his job, and you're here, so I guess that it's of no matter."

He was quiet for a moment, then he said, "May I ask why there are two of you?"

"Lyle knows just as much as I do." Charlie began, "And he was... er..."

"I was attacked." I grunted, "I was almost killed. You don't have to put it lightly." Charlie sighed at me, outstretching his arms in exasperation.

The older fellow could not stop himself from giggling a little, in spite of the circumstances. After a minute or so, he started talking. "You two have a sort of turbulent friendship." He noted. We looked at him, a bit startled.

"Don't worry," He said with a smile, "That's the best kind. You keep each other in check. Plus, it's just more fun." He paused for a minute, then said, "Do come in. We have much to talk about."

No comments:

Post a Comment