Thursday, January 24, 2013

Part Fifteen (April 22, 1972)

"Okay," I shrugged, "That's pretty weird, but I guess that we can have my parents drive us up there later. We'd just need a good excuse. Got any?"

Charlie lowered his brow. "No, but I can come up with one when we need it."

I smiled a little. "Good," I said.

My buddy playfully elbowed me in the arm. "So, what dirt do you have?"

I froze. Charlie waved his hand in front of my face, to get my attention, but it failed. Then, a few small tears ran down my face. Charlie looked at me nervously. When I finally built up some courage, I spoke.

With all of the will I could muster, I whimpered, "I... saw Slender Man." He looked shocked, but he seemed to recognize the truth of my words. As far as I was aware, he had never seen me in this much despair. There had to be a reason for it, and this was the one that made the most sense. It was weird, though, because, if I had said it any other time before, he would have thought me crazy.

He spent a few moments comforting me, until I felt okay enough to continue the story. I told hm the whole thing, from my discovery of the college graduate, Howard Grady, to my confrontation with Slender Man. He listened intently, asking a couple of questions along the way. When I had finished, he put his hand on my shoulder.

He was quiet for a while, taking time to mull everything over. A minute or two later, he started speaking. "Okay," he said, "Here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna take a day off, to let you calm your nerves a little. I know that you're probably never gonna get over that. I don't blame you. But a day should be okay to lessen the impact a little. When that's over, tomorrow, we're gonna head over to talk to that guy that I saw. On Monday, after school, we'll chat with the dude at the night club. That'll be harder to get around, but I've got a cousin who can make some fake IDs. Sound good?"

I nodded hesitantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment