Thursday, January 24, 2013

Part Fourteen (April 22, 1972)

It was about eleven in the morning. I groggily rose from bed, after Charlie slugged me in the face with a pillow, at full force. He laughed hysterically while I growled at him. You see, Charlie was an early waker, which seemed extremely contradictory to his personality. As a result of getting up before me, he often got really bored. So, after a while, I compromised with him, and decided that I would get up between eight and nine, every time he spent the night. This time, though, I slept in. It was a little strange, considering how utterly terrified I had been for the last two days, but I suppose that I was just so fatigued from the previous night that I just drifted off.

Anyway, after I screamed at him for smashing my face in, and after he gave a halfhearted apology for it, I started my morning. One shower and two bowls full of cereal later, we started our conversation.

I was the first to talk. "So," I said, "Learn anything on that road trip?"

"Weirdly enough," he began, "I did."

"Yeah...?" I asked, between bites of toast that I had prepared for myself, "What was it?"

"I was in this convenience store, in the bathroom. I was just drying my hands when this old, creepy guy came up to me. He looked at me for a minute, and then said something like, 'Have you been hearing about those people who've been disappearing around these parts?' I turned to him for a second, and then I nodded. Then, the dude gave me this really serious look. He went, 'You look like you're someone who I can trust. I have a friend, about a block to the east. He knows something, but he won't tell the police about it.'"

Charlie stopped for a moment, then began again. "I went and asked him, 'Why me?' So, the old man said, 'He'll only talk to those who know something. You do, don't you? I can see it in your expression. You look like you saw something that you shouldn't have seen.' I nodded, and he told me the guy's address. Then, he just walked away."

"And did you talk to the dude?" I asked.

"No," my friend said, "I didn't get the chance. My folks were in a rush."

No comments:

Post a Comment