Friday, January 25, 2013

Part Nineteen (April 23, 1972)

After we woke up, the two of us headed down to Tommy's place. We were basically obligated to see how he was doing, after we essentially rescued him. And he was our only other friend who knew anything, so we figured that we should rope him into our group. We wouldn't be able to take him with us to see Charlie's contact, though. He just got back. His mom would be too worried. It took convincing to get her to even let us see him. But since she could do nothing else to properly thank us, she felt that she owed us at least a visit. But she told us that, after this time, we wouldn't be able to see him again until he fully recovered.

When we got there, Mrs. Mason offered us breakfast, which we graciously accepted. Tommy was at the table with us, but topics of discussion had to be limited, with his mom watching. The only thing that she really knew about her boy's disappearance was that he had been lost in the woods. So, we kept the conversation limited to what homework he'd missed while he'd been gone, and how unearthly delicious his mother's pancakes were.

When breakfast was over, and we were finally free to talk, we entered Tommy's bedroom. We sat on the foot of his bed, and began our discussion.

"You didn't tell the cops everything, did you?" I asked, "I don't want you ending up in a mad house."

"Don't worry. I kept it vague." He said, "And I left a lot out." We both nodded in approval.

I nudged Charlie in the shoulder. He cringed a little in pain, and then said, "What, Lyle?"

"You know," I said, "The thing that we talked about earlier."

"Eh, right. That." He replied. He glanced over at Tommy, then. He said, "Tom, how'd you like to join our little investigation into Slender Man and the disappearances?"

He looked uncertain. He furrowed his eyebrows, and itched at his arm, nervously. "I don't know," he said, "That attack scared the crap out of me. I can't sleep at night."

"Lyle's still in," Charlie reassured, "And he's in deep trauma from what happened to him. In fact, I'll bet that it makes him even more determined to learn the truth."

"Well, in that case..." Tommy responded, a little relived, "I guess that I'm in, too."

"Alright," I said, "Charlie and me are gonna go visit this guy who knows some stuff. Your mom says that you can't come, because she's worried about you, but we'll call you when we get some information."

"Okay," Tommy said, even more relieved, "Sounds like a plan."

No comments:

Post a Comment