Sunday, November 11, 2012

Part Ten (April 20, 1972)

As I had mostly been in school, not much happened during those last four days, beyond listening to teachers call on students to solve math problems that were above their skill level. Granted, it was slightly amusing to watch people get yelled at for being "stupid", but it wasn't of any use to the Slender Man investigation. Therefore, I won't mention it too much.

Anyway, I got home from school that Thursday, determined to continue looking into the kidnappings. Over the past few days, I had slowly covered my room in borrowed library books and newspaper articles. It may have been a little obsessive, but I was curious. Besides, I had nothing better to do. My homework was complete, and Charlie was out of town for the afternoon. My parents were both working overtime, and they had left me with a highly ineffectual babysitter. In short, I was free to do what I wanted, but there was nothing else that I wanted to do.

So, I perused the research that I had gathered. After hours of digging through leads that I knew would go nowhere, I arrived at something interesting.

It was a Slender Man sighting from someone who was devoid of children. He was a recent college graduate by the name of Howard Grady. He refused to disclose his street address or phone number, but, after some further research, I found out that he frequented this nightclub called Trend's Corner. I would look more into it later, I decided.

Putting my books away, I chose to be done for the night. The babysitter was busy watching some crappy nighttime soap, so I had no trouble getting outside without being screamed at. Once I got out there, however, I was unsure where to go.

After a moment of thinking, I walked down to the market for some candy. Most of the clerks were nice, and they were more open to children walking in without parents, as long as they were at least nine.

I bought some suckers and Mars bars, and then headed out. I needed to get home as soon as possible. Otherwise, if my sitter's show ended, she would notice that I was gone. She was easily distracted, but she wasn't dumb. If I wasn't home when she got up from the couch, things would not end well for me. So, I ran.

On my way back, I stopped and sat at a bench for a few minutes. I was out of breath from running so much, so I needed a bit of a breather. I did still need to get home, but I didn't mind this little detour. There was something strangely peaceful about watching cars go by, and staring at birds on telephone wires.

A few minutes later, my breath was restored, and I was ready to get up. When I was doing so, however, I noticed something across the street. There, staring at me with a blank face, was an abnormally tall man in black fatigues. I froze. Slender Man was upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment