Friday, November 2, 2012

Part Five (April 16, 1972)

I had spent another night at Charlie's, and had since returned home. As soon as I got there, my parents started ranting at me for not telling them that I was planning on spending the weekend there, and not just one night. Well, I'm sorry, but I was too wrapped up in this "dead child in the woods" thing to pick up the phone and call again. In fact, I had I hardly cared about my folks at all, at this point. There were much more pressing issues, such as trying to avoid being implicated in murder.

Anyway, after apologizing about 30 times, and being forced to clean the entire apartment as punishment, I went up to my room. I looked out my window. The snow had melted in most spots, but there were still a few piles of it here and there. Thank God. I had waited two days for this God-damned snow to go away. The paranoia had begun to consume me. Everywhere that I looked for the last 48 hours, I saw cops. I mean everywhere, even in the most implausible places. When I took a shower at Charlie's that morning, I saw one in the bathroom. I nearly had a stroke.

So, after a couple days of feeling like a criminal, I could finally be free. The snow was gone, and our footprints had probably vanished with it. Of course, I knew that I had to call the police, so I wasn't entirely relieved.

I walked downstairs, and picked up the phone in the living room. I hesitated a bit as I dialed those three little numbers. Then, after a moment, I got through to the dispatcher. She started with the typical jazz, asking what my problem was and all of that. So, feeling incredibly nervous, I told her.

"Two days ago, me and my friend, Charlie... We were walking in the woods, and we found this body of this little boy. He was all covered in blood, and his guts were ripped open."

"Could you tell me which woods you found the body in?" She asked politely. I did my best to answer her. Everybody in town knew which woods I was talking about, but I never remembered the specific street that it was located next to. Thus, I gave an approximate address. I was a kid, after all.

"Okay," she continued, "Could you tell me why you didn't contact us earlier?"

"We're kids." I said, "We were scared."

"Alright," she said, "We'll send someone over in about ten minutes."

I thanked her and hung up. Now, I needed to ask Charlie over. He was a fellow witness, so he obviously needed to be here with me. I grabbed the phone again, and I dialed his number. After something like eight rings, his parents picked up.

"Hey, could I talk to Charlie?" I asked.

"Sure, Lyle. Hold on a minute." He said. In the background, I could here him yelling at Lyle to pick up the phone. I chuckled a tad.

"Hello?" Charlie asked after a while.

"Hey, it's Lyle." I whispered, "I called the police. I need you over here."

"Okay, I'll be there in a few minutes."

No comments:

Post a Comment