Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Part Nine (April 16, 1972)

"I don't know who this guy is," Charlie admitted as he reached over to close the door, "But anyone who has the balls to display a body in front of a tree, moments after the killer was there, is the king of all badasses. He could've run, but he stuck around long enough to warn us. That takes guts."

"You know, I don't want to rain on your parade, but what if it wasn't a warning?" I asked after a moment, "Just think about it for a second. As far as we know, this person got there somewhere around two minutes after the killing took place. If Slender Man wanted him dead, he would have offed him by then. But, for whatever reason, he left him alive. So, what if this dude displayed the body because he was working for Slender Man?"

"You're saying that this guy is a quack-job who likes putting symbols on trees as a pride thing? Sorry, but I just don't think so. I don't claim to know much about this kind of thing, but from years of reading murder mysteries, these psycho-types don't normally work together. They're lone wolves, almost by definition. Even if he was an accomplice, it wouldn't make sense for one guy to gut the kid, while his partner did all of the theatrical stuff."

"Why your folks let you read those books, I will never know." I said with a smirk.

"I know, right?" Charlie exclaimed, grinning impishly, "I'm exactly the type of kid who'd go out and murder someone."

All joking aside, what he said made sense. There wasn't much room to suggest that he had displayed the body as anything but a warning. However, there was still one thing that bugged me. "If he wanted to draw attention to the body, then why would he place it behind the tree?"

No comments:

Post a Comment