Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Part Twenty-Three (April 23, 1972)

That question was left unanswered, but we kept it in our minds. We were both too young to develop any real conclusion about it, other than half-realized assumptions about some sort of immunity to supernatural charm, and Professor John was too well-versed in mythology to narrow it down to one possibility. So, we just moved on.

"So," Charlie asked John, "What else do think?"

 "I think that two kids, like yourselves, should probably think to stop digging into these matters, before they cause further psychological damage."

"Wait, what?" I asked, "But you wanted to talk to someone that you could trust. You have us for that."

"Yes, but I don't want you to get hurt." John said, "You should forget about all of this; live out your childhoods. Don't go chasing some adventure that's far beyond your experience."

"But," Charlie said, "Bruce told me that you knew something, and you promised us that you'd tell us your theories about Slender Man. You owe us those two things, at least."

John looked like he was considering this. Then, he said, "Okay, I suppose that I did promise you. Very well, I'll tell you those two things. Then, you can make your own decisions about whether you wish to keep this up."

We nodded, and he continued. "Firstly," he began, "I'll tell you my theory. As a former professor of folklore, it is quite easy for me to conclude that this is supernatural in origin, as I have thrown out most 'earthly' alternatives. That being said, it is fairly reasonable to say that this 'Slender Man' is a legendary creature, likely of the child-stealing variety. Many cultures have beings such as that. America has several types of 'bogeymen', for example, most of which are ill-defined. And Spanish-speaking countries have 'El Coco', who devours misbehaving children, only he can change shape. Celtic culture presented us with all manner of beings that we would call 'fairies' or 'Fair Folk'. They referred to them as 'aos sí', and they came in both good and evil forms. The more malevolent ones were often known for killing, or snatching away, young children. These creatures came from a strange place called the 'Otherworld', which existed alongside our realm. It seems to me that some some of these creatures may have been reinterpretations of this beast that you call 'Slender Man', but don't tell that to anyone who does not need to know. It sounds certifiably loony, and it's only a theory."

We tried to wrap our minds around this. We had little idea of what he was rambling on about, other than the fact that we had a certain familiarity with the bogeyman. We had never heard of fairies being called "aos sí", which the man pronounced like "ease she", and we had little care for Latin-American shape-shifters. Therefore, we just nodded, acting like we understood.

"Okay," Charlie said, after a while, "So, what's the other thing?"

"About a week ago," the gentleman orated, "I went to open my mailbox. Inside, I found a little brass box, circular in shape. There was no address on it, and there was no form of identification. Curious, I opened it. Inside the box, there was a makeshift inscription... You know what? It'll just be easier to show you."

He left for a moment, bringing back that item that he had just described. He dropped it into our hands, and we opened it. On the interior of the top lid, it read, "Swiftly entangled, the branches are gathered." Then, in smaller print, there were only three words. "Unfold the note."

I grabbed the remainder of the container, and I removed a folded piece of lined paper. Upon opening it, I discovered that the note had been written in bold italics, probably as a means of masking penmanship. It read:

"To John:

 I am aware that you have been gathering information on the missing persons' case. Do not be alarmed. I frequent the same café at which you have been reading the paper, for the past week. I appreciate your taste in lattes, by the way. You drink pumpkin-spice in the spring. That shows that you are willing to forgo tradition, in favor of your own ideals. This could be interesting...

Anyway, on the first day that you visited the establishment, I was sitting two tables to your right. (I like that spot. It gets decent sunlight.) After a while, I had walked up to the counter, because I had needed some more sugar. At that point, you came behind me. You went to order another drink. Glancing over, I had happened to notice that your paper's cover-story was about the disappearances. I had also noticed that you are on friendly terms with the cashier, since he had addressed you by name, but that's not important. What is important is that, for seven days, you had carried the same type of newspaper. Normally, this wouldn't interest me, but each issue of that paper had happened to contain an update about the case, and you had spent an unusual amount of time, glaring at the same article.

For each of those seven days, I sat at a different table, and I wore a simple disguise, to avoid detection. Each day, you would continue to stare at that one particular kind of article. (Obviously, you've invested a lot of time to this case.) After some time, I began to buy the same paper, so that I could find out exactly what you were learning. It was shortly after, when I'd decided that I could trust you.

You see, I am deeply involved in the same case, more so than I am at liberty to discuss. On a related note, I dedicate quite a bit of my time to spreading information to those who would hear it. I do not go to the police, for they are not inclined to do much, which is the same reason why I would advise you to not show them this letter. You will be tempted to do so, as this is likely to come off as profoundly creepy, but I would avoid it. Have faith in me.

Anyway, whether or not you trust me, I trust you. So, I will give you this fair bit of information, to help you in your quest for truth: There is a way to stop this. I realize that that statement is extremely vague, but it must be left that way. If you choose to believe me, I will send you further intelligence. To show that you believe me, draw an 'X', on a piece of paper, and slip it under the fourth table from the back. (It does not matter what time you choose to do so, provided that you do it in one week's time.) If you do this, then things will gradually become clear. If you do not, however, no ill fortune will befall you. I wish you the best of luck in your investigation. On this, the eighth day, you have my support.

Sincerely,
A friend."

No comments:

Post a Comment