Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Part Twenty-Four (April 23, 1972)

"How long do you have?"  I asked, after some thought.

"Two days," John said. He took a pause, as if he was uncertain, and then said, "Yeah, it would have been on Tuesday, if I remember right, so I have two days."

"Are you gonna do it?" Charlie asked.

"Yes, and I trust that the two of you are not going to heed my words, and stay out of this." John said. We grinned, and he began scrawling on a tiny scrap of parchment. "Here," he said, "Call me at this number, two days from now."

We graciously accepted the number, thanked the man, and began walking out the door. Then, suddenly, John shouted for us to wait. "Do you two have a ride home?" He asked.

"No," Charlie said, "But we can take the bus." John nodded.

On that note, we headed home. We spent the rest of the night there. We decided not to call Tommy until morning, assuming that his mother wasn't sending him to school. It was a lot of information, and we were still stressed out from yesterday's events, so we figured that it could wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment