Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Part Thirty (April 25, 1972)

The next day, after school was over, we called Professor John. We told him that we were heading over, to review the situation with the letter. We left quickly, as soon as my chores were done. In case you were wondering, yes, we did come up with another pathetic excuse. It was something involving a science project, or something. I don't remember all of the details, but it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, we knocked on the door, and he let us in. We sat on the couch, and he poured us some tea. I think that it was green tea; nothing special. He said nothing. He just passed us an envelope. It wasn't anything elaborate, this time. It was simply a plain, white envelope. There was no address or stamp.

I opened it, and held it out for Charlie to see. It was written in the same style as the last note, except that it was a bit shorter. It read:

"To John:

I saw the piece of paper that you left me. I'm glad that you came through. I was beginning to worry that you wouldn't. Some people are put off by the unusual nature of my methods.You, however, seem to have the rare capability to overcome that skepticism.

I had promised you information, and you will receive it. But, first, I must decide where to begin. There's so much to tell you. It excites me. You're the first person to truly accept me as a direct ally.

Okay, so there's this abandoned carnival. You'll know where it's at. Years ago, a boy disappeared there. Before he was taken, he had reported to his father about a creepy, faceless gentleman, or so the man had told. No one ever believed him. It has been said that it was one of the first 'modern' appearances of the beast.

Anyway, shortly after, the carnies shut the place down, ostensibly due to a lack of funds. People can still easily get in there. There are no guards or cameras, and it's hardly been touched in years. If you haven't yet guessed, I'd like you to take a look around. There are things, in that place, that are more readily understood when seen with one's own eyes.

Once you have done this, return to the coffee shop. I will leave you a note, taped to the fourth table from the back, that will contain further instructions.

With luck,
A friend."

"We read about the carnival incident." I said, looking up from the page. "What do you think that you'll find?"

John stroked the thick, white mustache that lay under his chin. "I don't know." He said, "But it can't be good."

No comments:

Post a Comment