Monday, November 4, 2013

Part Thirty-Six (May 4, 1972)

At that point, the three of us leaned in, privately conversing. When we had finished, I told Jeremy our verdict. "Okay," I decided, "But, if you cross us, you're out."

Jeremy smiled. "Thank you." He said, "I hope that you will come to see me as an asset, rather than an inconvenience."

"So do we," Charlie mumbled. Jeremy could hear him, but he acted as if he could not. I scowled at my friend, only to be answered with a shrug.

We continued eating. For several minutes, no one spoke. We were all attempting to process the fact that we were now forced to work with those with whom we normally did not associate. It was a somewhat bizarre situation, and the majority of us questioned Jeremy's motives. I wasn't quite sure that he even knew what he wanted. Yet, there he was, and there we were; none of us could change that, even if we wanted to. He claimed to have something to offer, and we had no choice but to believe him, for he seemed to be sincere. Time would determine the nature of his character; we were not fit to judge such things. We were children, after all. And, much like adults, children often find their loyalties tested. The only difference is age.  Therefore, regardless of our personal feelings on the matter, that table now housed a group of four.

No comments:

Post a Comment