Monday, November 4, 2013

Part Thirty-Five (May 4, 1972)

After the awkwardness had subsided, we went to school. When it hit lunchtime, we ran into Jeremy Maxwell. He had been directly behind us in line, and he had chosen to sit at our table.

"What do you want?" Charlie challenged.

Jeremy donned an expression of bewilderment. "Whoa." He said, "I come in peace. Can't a kid just sit at a table?"

I pondered on this. "Yes," I said, "I suppose that you can. Let's all hear what you have to say."

"Thank you." He said, "You're reasonable." I nodded, and he continued. "I've been hearing you three talk, for the last couple of days. Usually , I'll hear mundane things, like about homework. But, occasionally, I'll catch things about an abandoned carnival. If I'm thinking of the right carnivsl, then I think that I could be useful to you."

"Disregarding your eaves-dropping, what could you do for us?" I asked.

Jeremy smirked, locking his underlined eyes on my face. "I've been there." He established, "I live close to the place, so I'll sometimes explore it. I know that there's something there, and I know where to look."

Tonmmy eyed him skeptically. "Have you seen it?" He asked.

"No." Jeremy clarified, "But I know where it's at."

No comments:

Post a Comment