Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Part Forty-Two (May 4, 1972)

For a moment, we gazed into the pit, desperately attempting to process what had just happened. After some time, we returned to our senses, entering the small research building. "Grab what you can." I said, "Stuff it into your backpacks. We're not coming back."

Following my orders, my friends gathered up any documents that they could. Between the four of us, we managed to get everything. That included hundreds of documents, photos, and newspapers. Our trip was worth the trouble.

As we left, I laid a single sheet of blank paper on the marked ground, figuring that it would bust into flames. It did, but it caused only a small fire. So, I went into the building, and came out with more blank paper, making a trail of parchment. Digging around, I found some old gasoline, which I print poured onto the fire. When that was done, we left.

The walk home was silent. We'd all had too much on our minds, and there wasn't much room for banter. Charlie couldn't even get out the magazine, due to the paper in his bag.

Soon, we reached my place. After dinner and dishes, we immediately unpacked. When that was done, everyone called their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment